Vagus nerve stimulation: A new depression treatment option
This is a very helpful explanation of the technical aspects of depression:
The Chemistry of Depression
An exciting finding in chronic pain research:
Researchers Discover On/Off Switch for Chronic Pain
"We're very optimistic that this discovery and our continued research will ultimately lead to a novel approach to pain relief for the millions suffering from chronic pain," said Dr. Ambron.
It is easy to think this kind of mistake could never happen to you, but better to try to guard against it than to put your head in the sand.
Study: Medication errors harm 1.5M a year
Tips for avoiding problems:
* Ask the doctor or nurse what drugs you are being given.
* Do not take a drug without being told the purpose for doing so.
* Exercise your right to have a friend or relative present whenever you receive medication and are unable to monitor the process yourself.
* Before surgery, ask whether there are medications, especially prescription antibiotics, that you should take or any that you should stop taking preoperatively.
* Before discharge, ask for a list of the medications that you should be taking at home, have a doctor or nurse review them with you, and be sure that you understand how these medications should be taken.
* If your pills look different when they're refilled, don't assume the maker changed the size or color - ask the pharmacist why. You could have been given the wrong drug or dose.
Research findings indicate that migraine with aura increases the risk of cardiovascular disease in women over 45, but also indicates positive news for those who have migraine without aura:
Migraines With 'Aura' Up Heart Risk
"Since migraine without aura is far more common than migraine with aura, our data demonstrate no increased risk of cardiovascular disease for the majority of migraine patients," wrote Tobias Kurth, M.D., and colleagues from Harvard Medical School's Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.
Technorati Tags: news, fda, depression, treatments, migraines, chronic illness, health, somebody heal me