The theme of the 2008 awareness week is "Be Migraine Smart." It's all about encouraging migraineurs to take the right steps to manage their disease.
The Migraine Trust's 10 Top Tips to Be Migraine Smart:
- See your doctor and get a diagnosis.
- Understand your medication, why you are taking it, how much you take and what it is meant to do.
- Learn about your migraine triggers.
- Understand the difference between a headache and a migraine.
- Keep a Migraine Diary for three months.
- Drink plenty of water - stay hydrated.
- Eat regularly - avoid sugary snacks.
- Take regular exercise at the right pace for you.
- Think about lighting and posture, particularly at work.
- Try to maintain a regular sleep pattern.
The website also features videos about a variety of migraine-related issues. They're worth checking out.
The Migraine Trust's Migraine Awareness Week
Also, don't forget to listen to the rest of the National Invisible Chronic Illness Week chats and call in with your questions today and tomorrow. I haven't been able to listen to all of them yet, but the ones I caught were incredibly helpful. I felt less alone and isolated just by listening in and realizing there were many other people in my situation doing the same thing at that moment. What an awesome opportunity!
National Invisible Chronic Illness Week
Technorati Tags: invisible illness week, migraine awareness week, the migraine trust, depression, migraines, chronic illness, health, somebody heal me
Subscribe to the Somebody Heal Me feed: Subscribe in a reader or subscribe by e-mail.
Content by Diana E. Lee.